Gilles Wouanko, Founder of African Fashion Week Edmonton
Intouch.NEWS sat down with Gillas Wouanko, founder of African Fashion Week Edmonton. AFWE was created in 2013. He explored his inner desirer of fashion while his stay in Paris, Montreal and now in Edmonton. African Fashion Week Edmonton is the high profile African focused even in Edmonton. Held during the Black history month.
What are the three attributes that fashion show producer should have?
For me a fashion producer should be
- Very creative,
- A great team worker and leader usually have a big team to manage
- Should be able to handle pressure
The Day of the show your survival kit will definitely include?
- Keep your cool
- Be organize, have a plan and a schedule
The most memorable location, which has hosted one of your events?
Weber Exclusive: The location, the space, the high celling, the staff. Just perfect.
What difficult situation you have faced and how you got out of it?
A difficult situation would be going to meet different businesses for potential sponsors, partnership etc... I feel like people are not really responsive, most of the time they don’t even give you the opportunity to explain present your project or to explain what its about.
How i got out of it, You keep pushing until you meet the right people who are willing to take the time to hear you and realize that you actually have something interesting going on. Like at Weber Exclusive for example.
Want is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your company Luxure Productions Ltd?
Never give up, keep pushing.
What would you suggest to those that want to be involved into the business?
Be very patient, open minded and ready to work hard
You are a fashion designer? Will we be seeing your designs anytime soon?
Yes i am a Fashion designer, presented my first collection at AFWE 2015. i don’t think i will have the time to finish my collection for AFWE 2016 but will have a cocktail party to showcase thecollection when ready.
Anything we should be keeping our eyes open for in 2016?
We are having:
- Miss Africa Edmonton (About showcasing the inside and outside beauty of the African Women as well as her intelligence, elegance and grace.)
- Miss Afropolitain in Toronto May 2016 (Pageant contest showcasing afropolitain young ladies beauty and intelligence)
- Luxure productions Ltd yearly networking cocktail party around September
- The yearly winter ball
- Charity Gala as I am working on a charity project i will have a Gala to introduce the project (no date yet).